- Applicability, At least 48 hours prior to the predicted landfall of a tropical storm
or hurricane…or upon order of the building official in anticipation of a storm
emergency; all construction materials, including roof tiles, on all projects sites
within the City shall be secured and stored onsite in a safe manner or removed so
that no material can become a safety hazard with hurricane or tropical force
- A pre-storm inspection shall be required for all active construction sites involving
exterior work and or exterior storage materials…
- Failure to properly secure a job site and pass inspections will be considered a
violation of this ordinance. The City may recover as costs of repairs or
compliance, associated with securing job sites that have not complied with this
section in to any fines imposed by the code board. And such costs shall constitute
Pre-Storm Construction Site Inspections Compliance requires the following action:
- Band construction materials together and fasten them to the structure to prevent them from becoming airborne. Remove construction materials from the top of structures to the ground and secure.
- Remove materials if possible or store safely inside.
- Dumpster should be empty or securely covered with tarp to prevent trash becoming airborne.
- Port-o-lets shall be secured
- Any other action/direction deemed necessary to prevent damage to adjacent structures from construction materials
- A Tropical Depression refers to an advisory issued to indicate that conditions with sustained winds up to 39 mph are possible in the area.
- A Tropical Storm Watch refers to an advisory issued to indicate that conditions with sustained winds from 39-74 mph are possible in the area within the next 36 hours
- A Tropical Storm Warning is generally issued to warn of approaching tropical storm conditions within the next 24 hours.
- A Hurricane Watch refers to an advisory issued to indicate that the area could experience hurricane within 36 hours. This watch should trigger your disaster plan, and protective measures should especially those actions that require extra time, such as leaving a barrier island.
- A Hurricane Warning is generally issued to warn of sustained winds of at least 74 mph are expected hours. Once this warning has been issued, you should be in the process of completing protective deciding the safest location to be during the storm
Courtesy : City of Naples